WILDLIFE ICONS OF SOUTHERN AFRICA – OVERVIEW
This safari takes guests behind the scenes to experience the amazing cheetah, the dinosaur-like black & white rhino, the incredible African Elephant, and of course the mighty lion…… This guided safari in the malaria-free Eastern Cape Province of South Africa will give you a unique insight into the world of wildlife in Southern Africa, while focusing on some of the icons. Guests will have the opportunity to interact and learn from researchers, ecologists, vets and guides, while discovering the fantastic world of wildlife in Southern Africa. Expect the experience of a lifetime, and know that your dreams about Africa will never be the same again……..
- Guided throughout by a Wildlife Veterinarian
- Accommodation in comfortable 3, 4 and 5 star lodges
- Dart gun lectures and practical session
- Wildlife viewing on foot
- Wildlife viewing in open game viewing 4X4 vehicles
- All inclusive price
- Your participation funds rhino and other necessary veterinary procedures, thus contributing to conservation!
A day by day look at the safari
- Arrival and transfer from Port Elizabeth Airport to the first game reserve
- Afternoon game drive looking for lion, elephant, rhino, buffalo, cheetah, giraffe, zebra and numerous antelope and other species
- Welcome and introduction by your Wildlife Veterinarian
- Morning game drive tracking some of the animals being monitored on the reserve, lion in particular
- Afternoon telemetry drive focusing on elephant
- Final morning game drive on this Big Five reserve
- Transfer from the reserve to Mountain Zebra National Park
- Late afternoon game drive searching for cheetah, Cape buffalo and the Cape Mountain zebra
- Morning walk spent tracking the elusive cheetah
- Talks presented by parks staff on the ecology and conservation plans of the park and it’s fauna and flora
- Evening game drive searching for nocturnal animals such as bat-eared fox, aardwolf, aardvark and caracal
- Morning guided hiking trail
- Checkout and transfer to another private game reserve
- Afternoon game drive spent searching for any species not yet seen
- Morning game drive joining Reserve staff on one of the Reserve’s routine rhino monitoring programmes
- Informative talks on the veterinary and safety aspects for the immobilisation presented by the Wildlife Veterinarian followed by a dart gun practical session
- Afternoon game drive
- Morning immobilisation procedure, likely to be rhino, on the Game Reserve
- Afternoon game drive
- Final morning game drive on the Reserve in search of any species you may not have come across yet
- Tour ends – departure transfer from the lodge to Port Elizabeth Airport
- 16 – 23 April 2016
- 01 – 08 October 2016
ZAR 54 500 per person sharing.
Single supplement subject to availability.
This cost is based on 8 guests participating.
This cost includes accommodation and meals as laid out above, all land transfers in a comfortable air-conditioned mini-bus/similar, guides (including a Wildlife Veterinarian throughout the safari, and various local guides and researchers), all tours, presentations and activities as laid out above, entrance fees, VAT and Government Tourism levies. Not included are drinks at certain lodges as indicated, dinner on day 1, lunch on day 4, 5 & 9, any optional additional activities, items of a personal nature, gratuities, travel insurance (medical insurance compulsory) and international flights.