This incredible Uganda tour offers the ultimate exploration of the country’s most prized landscapes as well as unforgettable encounters with the iconic primates: chimpanzee and the majestic mountain gorilla.
5 Day Gorilla Trekking Safari
Explore mist-covered mountain slopes in search of enchanted moments spend watching the intricate interaction of families of mountain gorilla. Encounter these fascinating primates in the heart of the World Heritage Site known as the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. Trek the groups of mountain gorilla that live protected by this dense network of vines and shrubs, rewarded by exhilarating moments as you get to view their complex social structure at work. Traverse dense thickets and bamboo forests that extend over a series of steep ridges and marvel at the ecological uniqueness and natural beauty of this secluded mountain haven.
Highlights of this Itinerary
- Gorilla trekking in Bwindi National Park Local hospitality and community interaction
What we love about this journey
- Augment your trekking adventure with a safari in the world renowned Serengeti National Park or Masai Mara National Park
- Extend your safari across the border to Kenya or Tanzania in search of the Great Migration
- End the perfect safari with a visit to the sun-drenched East African coast
Specially created for
- Walking enthusiasts Repeat African travelers Extreme Adventures Active travelers or families
Day 1 : The Boma Entebbe
Spend 1 night at The Boma Entebbe, Uganda in a Standard Room with ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes accommodation and breakfast. Situated on a peninsula in Lake Victoria, the former seat of Uganda’s government, Entebbe is just a short drive from the current capital and offers plenty to keep visitors amused. This charming town features tree-lined streets and serves as an excellent base from which to explore the surrounding area.
Tourists can look forward to spending days on beautiful beaches along the banks of Lake Victoria, stroll through the fields and forests of the magnificent Botanical Gardens, or pay a visit to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary, a haven for country’s orphaned chimps.
Day 2 – 4 : Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
After a yummy breakfast, you will be transferred from The Boma Hotel Entebbe to Entebbe International Airport where your scheduled light aircraft flight to Bwindi (Kisoro Airstrip). An ancient rainforest, the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest extends over a series of steep ridges in the Virunga Volcanoes mountain range. Its impenetrable nature, which is due to the dense growth of herbs, vines and shrubs that covers the valley floors, makes it the ideal habitat for the mountain gorilla. Declared a World Heritage Site due to its ecological uniqueness and natural beauty, the forest is home to roughly half of the world’s total gorilla population. With terrain that varies from swamp and bamboo forest to dense thicket, this beautiful area poses both challenges and rewards for anyone interested in an intimate glimpse of the life of these fascinating primates.
Spend 3 nights in a Cottage. Your stay includes meals, all alcoholic and soft drinks, a massage, laundry and any activities around the lodges.
Set on a forested ridge near the entrance to the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge boasts eight spacious cottages built from volcanic stone. Spectacular views stretch all the way to the Virunga Volcanoes of Rwanda, as well as across the border into the Congo, where the glow of Nyiragongo Volcano can be seen on a clear night. Warm and welcoming, each cottage features a bedroom, ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower and separate lounge. Comfortable chairs on the outdoor verandas provide the perfect vantage point to admire the unforgettable vistas of the forest below. Blazing fireplaces create a cosy glow as evening falls.
Meals are prepared using the freshest local ingredients and served in front of a roaring fire in the dining area or in the privacy of your stone cottage. The lodge is situated within easy walking distance of the trail where guests can begin their gorilla trekking adventure. Guided forest walks and birdwatching expeditions explore the surroundings, while local community visits give a glimpse of traditional life.
On day 3 tuck into a hearty breakfast overlooking the majestic mist- covered slope of the mountain. Soak up the anticipation as the guide briefs and the trekkers get ready then follow in the light steps of your nimble porter as the rainforest folds in around you. Stop and take it all in; the sounds, the smells and the astonishing scenery. Feel the rush of excitement as those dim shapes and faint sounds become actual living, breathing, free gorillas. Savour every moment of your exhilarating encounter with the great apes. Walk tired and exhilarated back to the lodge for a hero’s welcome. Sink into a comfortable seat in front of a crackling fireplace and recount every highlight of the experience with your companions. As eyelids grow heavy, update your bucket list and sleep like a baby. We included one permit, additional permit bookable at additional cost.
On day 4 you will have the opportunity to go Gorilla Trekking in the forest.
We love the delicious homemade cakes served on your private veranda by your personal butler each afternoon; recommend a relaxing foot massage booked for right after your gorilla trekking expedition; and admire the beautiful artworks displayed throughout the lodge – these are commissioned from a Ugandan artist and can be specially ordered for guests.
Day 5 : transit
After a scrumptious breakfast you will be transferred to the airstrip for your scheduled light aircraft flight to Entebbe.
- Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary
- Meet and Greet at Entebbe Airport
- All meals, Drinks (non-premium brand drinks)
- Scheduled flights and airport taxes as applicable and specified in the itinerary.
- Scheduled Light Aircraft flights
- Entebbe Airport / Kisoro Airstrip / Entebbe Airport
- Road Transfers
- Entebbe Airport / The Boma Guest House / Entebbe Airport
- Airstrip / Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge / Kisoro Airstrip
- Park, ranger guide, conservation fees
- 1 Gorilla permit per person as specified in the itinerary
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Administration fee
- International flights and applicable airport departure taxes
- All passport and visa fees
- Single entry visas a, as well as East African visas (between Uganda | Rwanda | Kenya),are currently available directly upon arrival at Entebbe Airport at a cost of US$100 (same cost for both types). Please be advised that Uganda is moving towards an online visa system and may announce online visa application requirements with little notice. We will keep you informed to the best of our ability. However, to avoid any potential issues, may we recommend that clients obtain an East African visa (as detailed above) upfront and prior to travel from their nearest available Embassy (see http://www.embassy-worldwide.com/country/uganda/). When officially in place, the visas will be applied for online: https://visas.immigration.go.ug/).
- Amref Flying Doctors emergency evacuation – can be arranged @$24 per person per 31 days
- Charges incurred as a result of delays beyond our control.
- All statutory increases beyond our control.
- Meals not specified (including lunch and other meal stops between properties on overland sectors)
- Drinks where not stipulated in itinerary
- Items of a personal nature: fax, telephone, etc.
- Laundry in Entebbe/Kampala
- Gratuities for guide/driver/hotel staff
Our approach to travel is defined by our motto “Constantly in Pursuit of Excellence”, as we strive to provide top quality tour or safari options. We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us with your questions, comments or suggestions through our Support System and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please also review our FAQ’s to save you time in case your question has already been answered.