A wildlife adventure unlike any other, this itinerary offers the chance for close encounters with mountain gorillas and beautiful golden monkeys. Hike the densely forested slopes of Rwanda’s picturesque Virungas Volcanoes in search of the world’s largest population of wild mountain gorillas. Gaze out onto soaring mountain slopes enveloped in lush and tropical vegetation. Immersed in this dramatic natural setting, enjoy the opportunity to watch the intriguing interaction between gorilla families or set out in search of troops of the enchanting golden monkeys. This itinerary is ideal for anyone eager for a glimpse of these great primates while undisturbed in their beautiful natural setting.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE ITINERARY:
– Gorilla trekking in Parc Des Volcans National Park
– Local hospitality
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR ADVENTURE:
– Augment your trekking adventure with a safari in the world-renowned Serengeti National Park
– Extend your safari across the border to Kenya or Tanzania in search of the Great Migration
– End the perfect safari with a visit to the sun-drenched East African coast
SPECIALLY CREATED FOR:
– Walking enthusiasts
– Repeat African travellers
– Extreme Adventures
– Active travellers/families
Day 1 : Kigali Serena Inn
You will be collected from Kigali International Airport and driven to Kigali Serena. Experience 1 night at Kigali Serena in a Standard Room with ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes accommodation and breakfast. Relaxed yet elegant, the Kigali Serena Hotel is situated on a charming boulevard in the heart of Kigali. Here, guests can choose from the hotel’s exceptional selection of 148 contemporary rooms — each with a lovely ensuite bathroom, internet connectivity, flat-screen satellite television and personal bar. Delicious, globally-inspired meals are served at the hotel’s first-class eateries. Choose from mouth-watering à la carte menus, themed dinners, scrumptious poolside lunches and a wide array of colourful cocktails served overlooking the pool and tranquil gardens. Guests can take a dip in the sparkling swimming pool or unwind with a soothing massage at the hotel’s health club. A fully-equipped gym adds to the guest delight. Take advantage of the hotel’s well-equipped gym and treat yourself afterwards to a pampering massage at the Maisha health spa. Lounge on the open terrace and enjoy your favourite sundowner, after a successful day of sightseeing.
Day 2 – 4 : Bisate Lodge
You will be collected from Kigali Serena and driven to Bisate Lodge. Experience 3 night at Bisate Lodge in a Forest Villa with ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes all meals, all local drinks, laundry, in-room massage and wi-fi.
Rise in the cool of dawn and look out on the misty peaks of the mountains. Tuck into a hearty breakfast. Peer up at the majestic mist-covered slope of the mountain and soak up the anticipation as the guide briefs and the trekkers get ready. Follow in the light steps of your nimble porter as the rainforest folds in around you. Stop and take it all in; the sounds, the smells and the astonishing scenery. Feel the rush of excitement as those dim shapes and faint sounds become actual living, breathing, free gorillas. Savour every second of an exhilarating hour with the great apes. Walk tired and exhilarated back to your heroes welcome. Sink into a comfortable seat in front of a crackling fireplace and recount every moment of the encounter with your companions. Update your bucket list and sleep like a baby. ( We included one permit, additional permit bookable at additional cost). Set adjacent to the Volcanoes National Park, which is home to the iconic endangered mountain gorilla, Bisate Lodge offers the perfect base for mountain gorilla trekking. Situated within the natural amphitheatre of an extinct volcanic cone, the lodge offers breath-taking views of the brooding Bisoke, Karisimbi and Mikeno volcanoes. Setting a new standard of luxury in the area, the lodge offers just nine beautiful ensuite rooms, including a family suite. Designed in typical Rwandan style, the buildings are domed with an authentic draping thatch. The interiors are also characteristically Rwandan, using natural materials such as wood and volcanic stone, but there is also a contemporary feel with the addition of warm greys and splashes of vibrant green. The lodge’s main attraction is the opportunity to trek to visit a family of mountain gorillas in the Volcanoes National Park. There are also plenty of other activities for guests, including visiting one of the habituated golden monkey troops in the area, trekking to the top of one of the volcanoes, hiking up to Dian Fossey’s grave and former research station at Karisoke, or exploring the local villages and the stunning twin lakes nearby. Track a family of majestic mountain gorillas through their natural habitat, or follow equally rare golden monkey troops as they frolic through the trees. Enjoy stunning views of the magnificent Virunga volcanoes and take a hike up to the grave of renowned primatologist and gorilla activist, Dian Fossey.
Day 5 : transit
You will be collected from Bisate Lodge and driven to Kigali International Airport.
– Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary
– Meet and Greet at Kigali International Airport
– 1 x Gorilla permit per guest
– Kigali Serena Inn – Breakfast
– Bisate Lodge
– Accommodation is based on a Forest Villa
– All meals
– All local drinks (excluding premium imported brands and champagne)
– Complimentary in-room welcome massage (additional massages would be for guests own account)
– Lodge activities
– All scheduled transfers
– Kigali International Airport/Kigali Serena/Bisate Lodge/Kigali International Airport
– City tour, Nature walk and visit to the caves are also included in the package
– Emergency medical evacuation insurance
– Administration fee
What’s not included:
– International flights and applicable airport departure taxes
– Meals not specified (including lunch and other meal stops between properties on overland sectors)
– Drinks were not stipulated in the itinerary
– Items of a personal nature: fax, telephone, etc.
– Laundry in Kigali
– Meet and Greet not included on the Bisate Itinerary
– Gratuities for guide/driver/hotel staff
– Air transfers as specified, including Departure Taxes
– Any scheduled commercial flights and related taxes;
– Any extras and additional activities not mentioned in the itinerary
– Any new Government Taxes, levies, fuel or industry increases which are beyond our control;
– For adding another Gorilla Trek we shall charge $1500 per person per Gorilla permit.
Our approach to travel is defined by our motto “Constantly in Pursuit of Excellence”, as we strive to provide top quality tour or trek options.
We’d love to hear from you, so please contact us with your questions, comments or suggestions through our Support System and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please also review our FAQ’s to save you time in case your question has already been answered.